Wednesday, May 30, 2007

To Tell Or Not To Tell, That Is The Question

It's an evening like any other in late November, except that, unbeknown to me at the onset, the shattering of an ancient myth looms just over the horizon.

As I tuck her into bed and bend to kiss her forehead, she says, “You know what, Grandma?” I'm going to ask Santa for a special toy you can't find in a store, or anywhere else!”

Whoops! I think.  She's out to test the Santa thing!    

“So then, “ I ask “how can he bring it to you on Christmas morning if it can't be found anywhere at all?”

“Did you ever hear of ELVES?” she asks, giving me a look that makes me feel like a veritable pin head..  “He'll get his elves to make it for me.  I mean, that's what he does, isn't it? ”

Alas! I think, now conscious of the historic denouement that inevitably will unfold.  Do I tell her here and now?  Probably not – not my place to shatter the myth.  Do I mention anything to her parents?  Probably not – lest it tarnish the special bond she and I share.  I decide that silence is the better part of valor.  I am not looking forward to Christmas morning and her coming of age, but it comes about sooner than I think.

Two days before Christmas ( I  guess because she simply can't wait any longer), in a quiet moment with her mother, she poses the age-old question.  “Mommy, tell me the truth.  Is there really a Santa Claus?”

Her mother confesses to me later that, put that way, what other answer could she give her?                     “No, Honey,” she says, I'm sorry – he's not really real.  Don't be too disappointed, Sweetie.  Just think of it as growing up a little.  You do that in many ways every day, you know.”

Poker-faced, the child makes no comment, none at all.  That same evening, though, when a toy commercial comes on TV, she belatedly reacts – with a response that must have smoldered in her young heart all that live-long day. 

“YOU FAKE!” she screams with uncharacteristic violence at the Santa depicted on the screen.  “YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A BIG, FAT FAKE!”


It's going to be a subdued Christmas this year.  I can just feel it.