Friday, July 23, 2004

Morning on Capital Crescent Trail - Washington D.C.

A roller blader
Swishes around me.
Close on his heels 
(Or rather, on his wheels) 
A bicyclist circles past, 
Cutting a wide swath, 
Followed by a jogger 
Lean and tall. 
Youthful, all – everyone 

Except me. 
Out of my class, 
Old and slow. 
Suck in stomach muscles 
Just to show 
That I too am fit; 
I too am hale; 
I too am worthy 
Of the Crescent Trail. 

Around a bend 
Yet another jogger comes. 
Older 
Fatter. 
Approaches with jowls jiggling 
Like jelly. 
Jelly-jiggling jowls. 
And what’s more, 
He leads with his belly. 

Footfalls pounding, 
A woman on the run 
Pushes a baby stroller 
Fast in front of her. 
The boy child 
Buckled securely there 
Bounces in his sleep 
And dances unaware 
A wild fandango. 

Next: three hefty women.
Flesh-wobbling women, all three
Amateurs, at a glance I can see
Who know nothing of
Power-walking regimen,
But chatter and chatter,
Thinking it doesn’t matter
That their unsupported bosoms
Bobble and dance.

On this erstwhile railroad site,
I see now a tunnel loom.
Its bricks, black with age,
Prophesy age’s ultimate doom.
I shiver and look up high.
Are those vampire bats
Hanging there from ceiling’s arch?
Or is it just the absurdity
Of my imagination’s perfidy?

Back in daylight again,
I see that the sun,
Through leaves of the trees,
Is strewing lacy shadows
Across my path.
And the morning breeze
Cleaned fresh by last night’s rain,
Stirs a Muse of sorts
Within my brain.

O, Muse
Hark, then!
This shall I do:
I shall make a poem for you.
I shall write it now,
Quickly,
Without fail,
And I shall call it
Morning on Capital Crescent Trail